Have you ever fallen in love at first sight?

Well, that is what you are looking at: fatal attraction between me and this red lace. Yet, as in every decent love story, there were obstacles. More than one.

The first time I laid eyes on this coat was on the Dolce & Gabbana runway. It was magnificent: oversized, the lace exquisite, the red just red enough, and no collar, which was something I was adamant about at the time.  So I asked my SA to get me some info and to see if one could be found for me.

At the beginning it was such a fortunate request: not only there was the coat, there was a matching dress too. The perfect red lace dress, with a black silk slip, just decent enough to be worn to work but at the same time it was unmistakably sensual, the kind of dress that turns heads. Perfect, therefore.

And that was where the love affair was interrupted: the coat was produced up to an Italian size 44. Which I did try on, but did not find satisfying: the coat needed to be slightly oversized, not to be tight. Because, you know, women usually have curves in the right places, and also pretend to breathe inside their clothes!
I was really not impressed, and quite vocal about it: quite Olivia Pope, “Fix it!!” style. My SA was at his wits’ end, and he went to the manager with the “issue”.
At this point it is only fair that I let you know that the “issue” of my size and curves comes up quite often in luxury stores. If I fit into a lower part of a dress, it is guaranteed I won’t in the upper, or vice versa. In a city mainly populated by models and extremely slim people, this appeared to be a sort of an impasse:  how do you solve a problem like Lady Violante’s dress size? 😀
How do they deal with it? It varies from store to store, and I will share my experience along the road.

But I digress: let me get back to my dream coat. My SA brought the problem to the manager, who promptly replied: “we shall let them make her one!”. Now we were talking! Finally I had discovered the sacred Graal of customer service: a brilliant SA and a smart manager combined, resulting into a happy customer. Who cares if I had to wait 2 months for it? One bright day, it arrived, and it was all I ever wanted and more. “Winter was coming”, and I was going to fight the gray with some amazing, deep red.

Do I have to add that there were also matching shoes? With crystals on them? We were definitely not in Kansas anymore.

Just to be clear, I rarely wear the whole combination. But it still feels amazing just to know the red love is complete.

So, have you ever had problems finding your size, or generally that type of issue with luxury brands? How did that make you feel and what do you do when you don’t fit in “standards”? I’m all ears.

7 Comments on The lady in red is dancing with me

1. Cubanita_31
    May 2, 2014 at 7:12 am (4 years ago)

I used to have problems finding clothes that fit me well.I remember shopping in London for my wedding outfit, I spent hours and hours until finally I found a pink suit that look perfect for the occasion. I had it altered. Being petite and skinny was a problem at the time. I’m glad that after years and having 3 kids my problem is solved. I’m no longer 45kg ! Finding the right clothes can be frustrating at times because our body shape it’s different, I’m so glad you have managed to find your coat and dress, the whole look it’s so beautiful!

May 2, 2014 at 10:02 am (4 years ago)

Yes, those are two faces of the same coin, I understand perfectly! That’s why I always say, the important thing is finding a direction / brand / style that suits you, and stick to it for dear life!
      Glad you like the ensemble, it brings beautiful memories and I love it dearly!

• Axel de Chateau Thierry
        May 2, 2014 at 10:39 am (4 years ago)

Lady Violante, you’re lovely! Thank you for taking so seriously your look with such lightness

May 2, 2014 at 2:01 pm (4 years ago)

Monsieur, thank you for such kind words, I am not use to hearing it! 😀

2. Cecilia teh
    May 2, 2014 at 4:50 pm (4 years ago)

Gorgeous dress!

My figure is pear shaped. And in asia where I am based, a lot of designers tend to design for stick woman. It can be challenging to find something that fits well without resorting to A-line dresses/skirts ALL the time.

3. Geneva
    September 24, 2017 at 9:57 am (2 months ago)

How to move footage from iphone 3gs in order to Laptop or computer?
    Your easy-guide work out shows you actually couple of methods to identical in addition to
    move images through iPhone to Glass windows 7/8/10/Vista/XP.

Perfect using iphone 4 Several (Additionally) in addition to
    iOS Ten.
    Through an I phone, we will pick up good images with the untouched iSight digicam,
    specially together with the fresh iPhone Several Additionally individuals are definitely attached to taking photos featuring its play acted twice digital cameras.
    We all additionally sacrifice images from purposes, as an example,
    Internet explorer and also Snail mail towards the iphone 3gs.

In terms of attracting photographs by new iphone 4 in order
    to Microsoft windows Computer, you’ll use a quick tutorial.
    This particular article explains to you personally Four strategies to trade images from iphone 4 so that you can Microsoft windows Laptop or computer, including two typical approaches to acquire Dslr camera Roll
    graphics from apple iphone so that you can Windows 7/8, and
    yet another procedure for import many of the graphics (checking Digicam Move, Image Stream, Photo Collection in addition to Pictures images) to be able
    to Computer system at the single break.

4. travelservice.tips
    September 25, 2017 at 1:22 am (2 months ago)

* If you said you would send the office more information, send
    it. Be honest about the sort of person you are, and you’ll be able to determine
    whether a life in politics is the right option for you.
    While the national average annual wage is $25,800, the figure for Legal Professionals (for example) is much higher, at $47,411 – and
    that’s just an average.