I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

Yellowdress7

Let me tell you a little story.

There are certain places in this city that inspire your soul more than any other part of you. The Guastalla Gardens speak to me on sunny days with their magnificence. A charming baroque style pond, the greenery, the antique in the middle of the centre with all of its chaos: makes me feel as if I were time-travelling. So, when this dress came along, there was no doubt it needed an impressive background, and soon enough I was standing in the middle of young people sunbathing, students from the nearby University lying on the grass and reading, children, the elderly. Me, and my duchesse silk dress that prompted a gracious older lady to come near and say: “You know, that Dolce & Gabbana makes you look like a doll from another time.”
I still don’t know if I was more surprised to have her recognize the brand of the dress, or to have such a genuine and poetic compliment from another woman. (No, we are not use to it anymore – too busy fighting each other instead of being united)

So I will confess to a passion of mine: I love poetry. I can spend hours reading it, or listening to opera (I’m a huge Verdi fan, knowing entire operas libretti  by heart). Yet one rules above all: if you want the key to my heart, give me a book by Neruda and I am all yours.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
Thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

Yellowdress1
I confess I am yet to find a special evening for this outfit. It might be because now it is way too hot for it (the silk is very, very heavy) but it is also because I need a particular moment to remember it by. So I took it out and patiently posed, letting my senses get carried away by the beautiful surroundings and all the while having the XVII Love Sonnet in my head. I studied Spanish so I usually prefer reading everything I can in the language it was written originally, but today I wanted to share the beauty of these verses with everyone, confiding that English could carry the emotions, from me to my readers.

Yellowdress3
Can you see the details? The temples, the lace, the undeniable romantic feeling of the white and black windows on it?
When I was studying French literature at my University, I had a wonderful professor. She was magnetic, could hold my attention without any signs of faltering for hours, were it at 8 am or 16 pm. Have you ever had teachers like that – who ask for a lot in terms of effort, passion, time, and metaphorically blood, sweat and tears – but give back ten times more through their own passion that penetrates your soul and changes you for life?
We use to study Chateaubriand, more precisely “René”. I don’t know why but this dress makes me feel like a romantic heroine, just like some moments of the novel. It is incredible, how fashion can transcend mere clothing, and speak to those receptive enough to look beyond the apparent shallowness!

Yellowdress4
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
So I love you because I know no other way…

Yellowdress8
… than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
So close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

Yellowdress5

She loved me, sometimes I loved her.
How could I not have loved her large, still eyes?

Can you believe there were people coming up to me in the Gardens, asking to touch the dress? For as weird as that sounds, it isn’t the first time someone asks to touch something I’m wearing. Shoes, dresses, hair, bags – you name it, I’ve had it. Little girls telling moms I look like Barbie? Done! 😀

Don’t be fooled by the pictures, though. The Gardens were full of people, yet of course the photographer and I wanted more magic and poetry, less modern times that translate into people sitting on the benches. Do you think we managed to capture the moment well?

Yellowdress10

That is all. Far away, someone sings. Far away.
My soul is lost without her.
As if to bring her near, my eyes search for her.
My heart searches for her and she is not with me.

8 Comments on 100 sonnets of love

1. Hedgwin99
    June 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful dress! I love it. You do look like a beautiful doll!

June 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you darling, that’s very sweet 😀
      The dress is simply wonderful, I agree!

2. YS
    June 3, 2014 at 2:48 pm (3 years ago)

Hello my dear Sandra!
    I have become a follower on your blog and instagram for a few months now,
    and I absolutely adore you! I have noticed your love of Pink/Fuschia handbags!
    And I noticed your love for Dior too, as someone who is currently a SA at Christian Dior boutique,
    I highly recommend the New ‘Pink’ colour this season,

Pre fall 2014 – Toxic Purple (M01V).

It is a very stunning, deep fuschia with a tint of purple,
    would match perfectly with a beautiful lipstick that I am sure you already have!
    It is especially beautiful in the Diorissimo style – the inside is a beautiful and sweet Lavender colour.

It looks much better in person than on the website, and on the advertisements with Marion Cotillard…
    Many of our clients are surprised at how stunning it really is!

I have never been brave enough to communicate with you,
    but the SA at our store loooove the Toxic Purple so much, and it is doing well for us,
    I thought I would let you know 🙂
    Hopefully your local Dior store will still have the colour story in store and you get to see it soon 🙂

Thank you for an insight into your fabulous life, and your beautiful collection!

Much love,
    YS.

June 4, 2014 at 8:45 am (3 years ago)

Hello there sweet YS!

First of all thank you for your sweet and wonderful words: I am glad that I am being read and followed that far away from home!
      My love for Dior is well known, and I would dare say Dior loves me back. I have texted my SA right after your message, she has shown me the Toxic Purple available and i might give it some thought. My pink loves are mobbing the rest of the bags, though!
      Stay tuned for more Dior from me, coming really soon.
      Much love to you – and thank you again for the sweetest words,

Sandra

• YS
        June 5, 2014 at 2:37 am (3 years ago)

Amazing to hear back from you 😀
        May your love affair with Dior continue! Cannot wait to see the other Dior goodies you have to share with us <3
        Thank you for being your fabulous self x

June 5, 2014 at 7:45 am (3 years ago)

Darling, thank you for all the kind words you have for me! 🙂 Happy to have you as a reader.

Take care, x

Sandra

3. tskottmyhre
    June 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm (3 years ago)

Ohh, you look so beautiful! I love how the old lady knew that you were wearing Dolce & Gabbana, that is so amazing! I love to watch those elderly italian women that dress so beautiful and have such amazing sense of style, and they make me want to be them someday.

The garden the pictures are from are so beautiful and it looks like you and the photographer was there all alone, so wonderful! Love the pictures of you, so pretty! The poem reminded me of something from SATC (I have no idea why, but may be because I just read about your love for SATC). I love SATC and the movies are so amazing! I love to watch the movies over and over again, they never get old (if if they are quite new compared to the series).

Have a fabulous day!

Tarand

June 11, 2014 at 6:30 am (3 years ago)

Hello Tarand!

Thank you for all of your sweet comments both here and on IG 🙂 I see we have SATC in common!
      I wish me and the photographer were alone, but it was less idyllic – boiling hot and full of people. Somehow he managed to make it look dreamy!
      A hug to you, and have a fab day yourself!