Hello, it’s me.

It’s been a while. 🙂

IMG_1555

As you’ve probably already seen, this Christmas finds me in Africa, as per best tradition started 4 years ago after a traumatic end of the year when me and my husband felt the need to escape. Tunisia has given us beauty to look at, immense space to move into, amazing African sunsets, my first encounter with the desert where I stomped into the sand like a child squealing with delight, lovely people who greeted us with smiles and courtesy, eastern music that sings to my own eastern roots, not to mention the food that resuscitates even the most beaten of the souls. And as they often say, once you get to experience the gravitational pull Africa has, you’ll never be able to resist again. Utterly true, my friends.

It might have a lot to do with the fact that we drive motorbikes, and very few countries with a decent temperature are within reach of Europeans who don’t have unlimited vacations. The roads are amazing, often endless spaces where the earth kisses the sky as far as you can see, interrupted occasionally by the palm patches of the oasis, and the Sahara – even in its mildest form – is entirely fascinating to someone who has always lived in Europe with limited traveling options caused by bureaucratic issues. So, I remember coming back from that first vacation with my heart a bit mended (we had just lost a fundamental family member) and with my clothes smelling of spices and African sand. It never felt so good to ditch heels and spend two weeks on the road, never even bothering to do makeup.

Consequently, every Christmas since then was spent in absolutely blissful lack of holiday cheer. Don’t get me wrong, I love my holidays just as much as any kid around, but I often find it tiring when all the streets and shops are decorated already in early November, reminding me to buy buy buy gifts, as if the true spirit of Christmas was ever translatable into cash and pretty wrapping paper. I’m not a Catholic but coming from a multi-religious background I gladly celebrate everything with a pure heart and joy, and apparently so do Tunisians: you can find Christmas ornaments everywhere, and even Santa makes his appearance in Muslim houses. Perhaps it has a lot to do with the fact that working Tunisians come back from abroad for the holidays – as the countries they work in are mainly Christian – bringing gifts to their families in homeland, so Christmas is an universally recognized feeling of joy, as it should be. I was never a religiously obsessed person, to me my relationship with God is strictly personal and never affects any other sphere of my life, nor it touches my views on people depending on their or my own religion, hence it is possible to celebrate with a smile.

IMG_1528r

As today is Christmas Eve, here’s yours truly in Lady Santa outfit, in one of the most stunning oasis I’ve ever seen – Mides. Used as setting for the movie The English Patient, it stands proudly not far from the Algerian border and nearby other lovely oasis such as Tamerza and Chebika.
You should know that I first visited this oasis two years ago, and it was completely swamped with tourists snapping every sort of picture and selfie known to mankind. It just made me wish to go away (and I did) as it wasn’t even enjoyable to look at: it was lovely that tourists recognized the value of the place, but they ended up inevitably ruining it too, a common destiny for any beautiful place, I fear.
This year – there was no one. And that isn’t even a figure of speech: I mean literally no living soul except for an elderly local seller of minerals. We talked over some mint tea and he said that ever since the Sousse terrorist attack happened no foreign tourist has set foot in there. No prizes for guessing what was the fate of local businesses and local youth. So, even though  I really loved taking pictures with that jaw-dropping backdrop, I did it with a broken heart: my beloved Tunisia’s main source of income was killed with those poor people in Sousse at the hands of insane murderers that claimed doing it in the name of a supposed God, while just being savages with no respect for the same God they dared mention.

IMG_1532

After enjoying the first hours of the sunset approaching with its warm light, we moved a couple of km from there to the oasis of Tamerza. Once humming with Berber music and rhythm, people climbing up palms to get dates, and lovely little places where one could enjoy mint tea, it was now completely empty and abandoned. It hurt my soul to recognize the same place I’ve seen, to recall Berber women shouting in delight, even those tourists I disliked seemed like a better option than what was in front of my eyes yesterday. I refuse to publish the desolating picture of the abandoned oasis: that will remain with me. But I cannot shake off that feeling of guilt: Europeans have abandoned Tunis, making it pay the ultimate price for the Isis madness.

IMG_1545

I was never so glad of my own decision to come back as I am today. While in the area of Tozeur, I am staying at a friends’ house: we met these lovely people through booking, when we booked a room in their guesthouse in 2012. It was impossible not to become friends, and for me it was impossible not to adore the host’s wife whose soul connected to mine. Their guesthouse has been empty since the Sousse attack: no foreigners are here today on Christmas Eve. Last year it couldn’t have been different: we celebrated Christmas at a table that was full of French, Italians, Spanish, Tunisians, and at least 3 different languages were spoken. You know, smiles are universal. 🙂 The memory of that dinner breaks my heart now, but I am even more convinced that we cannot give into the psychosis of fear. We will not damage the murderers, we will just kill a source of income for honest people who dedicate their lives and work their behinds off in order to give their children the best possible future.

IMG_1579

Not only I am back in Tunisia and I’ve been feeling safe: I will shout it to the world with every chance I have. Terrorism has no religion, terrorism has no home country, and the locals hate Isis as much as any other European I know: they have taken away their lives and livelihoods.

So, while you celebrate Christmas with your families – as I wish for every single one of you, my friend – spare a thought for the world we live in. Spare a thought for what our actions mean. And decide not to live in fear of anyone: evil only wins if we allow it to.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight

LOCATION: the oasis of Mides and Tamerza, Tunisia
DRESS: MARENA Y SOL (no longer active)

19 Comments on Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas

1. Maria
    December 28, 2015 at 11:23 am (3 years ago)

I hope you had a wonderful christmas!
    Best Regards
    Maria

January 1, 2016 at 12:47 am (3 years ago)

Thank you darling, I truly did, I hope yours was lovely too! Happy new year!

2. thebaghag
    December 29, 2015 at 9:03 am (3 years ago)

So beautifully written and really, jawdropping backdrop with an amaaazing woman inside & out Happy holidays!!!

January 1, 2016 at 12:47 am (3 years ago)

You’re way too generous!!
      Happy holidays, gorgeous!

3. poker terpercaya
    February 18, 2018 at 2:05 am (8 months ago)

Superb, what a weblog it is! This webpage gives helpful data to us, keep it up.

4. adultfreindfinders
    March 19, 2018 at 5:30 pm (7 months ago)

If you want to get a great deal from this paragraph then you
    have to apply such strategies to your won website.

5. www.budgeting-tips.com
    April 7, 2018 at 8:10 am (7 months ago)

Wonderful site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any
    discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get
    responses from other experienced individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Thank you!

6. Adultfriendfindsr
    April 25, 2018 at 4:46 pm (6 months ago)

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to
    this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

7. www.blogo-manija.com
    May 1, 2018 at 5:25 am (6 months ago)

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and from now on each time a comment
    is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. There has to be
    a means you can remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!

8. muthafuckker
    June 22, 2018 at 2:27 pm (4 months ago)

I am no longer positive the place you are getting your information, however great
    topic. I needs to spend a while finding out more or working out
    more. Thanks for great information I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

9. Discord Voice Changer PC
    August 11, 2018 at 6:44 pm (2 months ago)

(I have finally managed to quit hitting this button when checking for new versions of programs, but it took some time.) Still, bad apps do sometimes slip through Google’s defenses.
    Back in August, Google discovered and kicked out 30 apps that were secretly using the devices they were
    installed to perform DDoS attacks.

10. BestAshley
    August 13, 2018 at 2:07 am (2 months ago)

I see you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional bucks
    every month. You can use the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites), for more
    info simply search in gooogle: boorfe’s tips monetize your website

11. accessoires de sport fitness
    August 13, 2018 at 8:43 am (2 months ago)

Thank you for another informative website. Where else may
    just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method?
    I’ve a venture that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

12. growth hacking
    August 28, 2018 at 1:52 pm (2 months ago)

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume
    you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to
    keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

13. water instantly
    October 14, 2018 at 4:05 am (1 week ago)

Dead indited content, Really enjoyed reading.

14. Christel
    October 14, 2018 at 7:08 pm (1 week ago)

Split the covered concoction in between the sandwich
    containers and cook in the stove for 25-35 moments, or even till the best is firm to the touch as well as a skewer
    placed into the center of the pie comes out well-maintained.

15. Godny podziwuwykaz rozmów zbiorników betonowych
    October 14, 2018 at 11:41 pm (7 days ago)

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
    I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you later on as
    well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own blog now 😉

16. Freddy
    October 18, 2018 at 11:35 pm (3 days ago)

Very interesting details you have observed, appreciate it for posting.

17. best sex dolls
    October 20, 2018 at 9:51 pm (23 hours ago)

barbie fashion games can feature some pretty
    magical settings too! Your mission is to help her decide upon different dress colors using a magic paint palette; additionally
    accessories, her hair and her clothes with a number of amazing royal
    jewelers and pretty pieces! barbie and the Prince sees everyone’s favorite blonde going meet
    up with Prince Charming in a wonderful fairytale landscape – but what will she wear?
    In between school, group therapy (which I hated), individual counseling, field
    trips to movies, bowling, shopping, the store, swimming, softball games,
    and other other events, I got really good at playing Bumper Pool planet basement
    among the house, something we did to pass the time a considerable amount.

In that area was a stereo, washer, dryer, storage area, bathroom, furniture, and fridge with two bedrooms adjoining the living room area.
    That they were caught they got put on Punishment Floor.

Smoking wasn’t allowed in the bedrooms nevertheless the smokers
    always sneaked around and achieved it anyway.
    Place a star in regards to the boxes or containers you may want
    to look at first. In case the favorite game or Hot Wheels may be in a specially marked box, it seem easy to understand during the chaotic unpacking process.

Other dolls made under various labels, from pink label
    Barbie collectors’ dolls to silver and black label Canary dolls, are a wide associated with figures.
    The Barbie Black Canary doll is fashioned for the set of doll vintage enthusiasts.
    A Batgirl figure has a tight, clinging black suit, cape, gloves, knee high boots
    and bat the ear lobes. Then there is Little Red Riding Hood,
    also barely dressed, with a leering wolf nearby. But the real Australian Outback is certainly not like enhanced comfort of a high quality meal at a steak your house.